Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What my other boys are reading....

For those of you who don't know me in real life, you may wonder why Gregory's name comes up but not my other two boys. David is in second grade and is working his way through Flat Stanley. I'm sure I can develop some simple worksheets, but he's more into reading on his own and less into being read to at the moment. And honestly, I'm not interested in rereading Flat Stanley! Matthew, my youngest, is in kindergarten. I highly doubt teachers would be interested in learning about the Chima characters he's so obsessed with :) I have to say, though, that I brought the Lego Chima book to family reading today and never have I had a bigger circle of interested kindergarteners around me. I decided to make the most of it and had them call out when they heard one of their sight words! It was loads of fun, and Matthew was thrilled it was his mommy reading to his friends. I hope I always remember these days.

I wrote the above a few weeks ago. Chima is still pretty popular around here, but thank goodness we are done with Flat Stanley. Matthew can now read Catch Me, Catch Me all by himself. He is so proud! I've been reading to him from Cynthia Rylant's Mr. Putter and Tabby series. Last night we read Mr. Putter and Tabby Fly the Plane. I love his description of the little boy in the park who is a little shy and clumsy and who reminds Mr. Putter of himself. We also read from the Elephant and Piggie series. He loves the characters and their expressions, and I love the messages the book teaches....sharing, including others, looking on the bright side. Although Knuffle Bunny isn't one of my favorites, I do love this series from Mo Willems. David, who will be in third grade in the fall, has moved on to A-Z Mysteries. Yesterday he claimed to have finished The Empty Envelope while I was busy downstairs making dinner. I asked him what was supposed to be in the envelope and he answered, "I must have missed that part." He's so eager to earn a dollar for the books he's read, that sometimes he doesn't really read them! So last night when I could see his interest in his new Lego toys was making it hard for him to concentrate, I started reading the Henry Huggins series to him. It'll help me finish up my worksheets on possessive nouns and conjunctions.

No comments:

Post a Comment